Experienced genealogists will look at the title of this blog entry and immediately think, "Opps! She's wrong!" because the word is really spelled "Genealogy." They know it's wrong, though, because they probably started out spelling it that way! Beginning researchers typically start with the spelling "GENEOLOGY" because it both looks and sounds right.
So why is that?
As 'geneologists' we are very concerned with the roots and origins of things so our first clue will be to look at the origin of the word.
This word, meaning the study of a family tree or lineage comes from two Greek words: genea (ancestry or descent) and logos (wisdom or knowledge).
Both together 'genealogos', or genealogy and genealogist.
If we had all paid good attention in Latin class, memorized our vocabularies and passed with flying A's then there would be no problem because we'd always be thinking "genea" first and the spelling and pronunciation would naturally follow.
Gifts for Genealogists
at the classified ad site
Does your business
offer a product or service
that makes a great gift
for a genealogist?
Maybe you have fun gifts
Antiques, cups, mugs, pens, pencils, storage supplies...
Post your business on
the classified advertising site just for genealogists!
Abbys Genealogy Classified Marketplace
Great quote from Family Tree Folk
"Old Genealogists never die ..... they just lose their census!"
Item 110 in Abby's classified collection is a bible that belonged to Mrs. W. Singleton, and passed on to Evaline Winifred Squires.
Mrs. Singleton is listed at address: 809 Artabasi, Long Beach, Ca. Evaline Squires is listed at the Pea Vine School, Carroll Co., Mo. Evaline Winifred Squires was born in 1868 and died at the age of 81 in 1949.
The bible has some very interesting articles attached to the front cover that both speak of the joyful quality of the owners, and of the times they lived in. Here is a transcript of the clippings.
"So many faiths so many creeds,
So many paths that turn and wind,
When all the old world really needs,
Is just the art of being kind."
"There's joy a-plenty in this world to fill life's silver cup,
If you'll only keep the corners of your mouth turned up."
Ebay Genealogy Auctions
- Finding a Place Called Home : An African American Guide to Genealogy and...
- New Ancestry FAMILY TREE MAKER 2012 Software w/Companion Guide & 20% OFF Coupon
- They Became Americans - Finding Naturalization Records and Ethnic Origins
- SHAKING the Family TREE Buzzy Jackson genealogy ancestry
- HAWKEYE 18:4 Iowa Pioneers Mills County Land & Death Recs Iowa Censu Recs
- 4 BOOKS ON ANCESTRY, GENEALOGY, LEARN WHAT CLUES IDENTIFY PEOPLE IN PHOTOS
- EDMONDSON FOLIO HERALDRY ENGRAVING WILLIAM BYRON 1700'S
- Swift Jewel Ancestry Family Tree program Windows 95
- Very Scarce! DANIEL BEGAT Jackson/Woodruff Genealogy Walton County GA/Georgia SC
- New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial (4 Volume Set by William...